"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33
Help make a difference in the lives of children in need. Now is the time to sponsor a child.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Waiting Room Blues

One thing I have been struggling with, especially lately, is what to do with my practically recovered child (Sassy) while my other child (Peanut) is in therapy. Peanut goes to the same place for OT, PT, and Speech therapy. Sassy used to also go to the same place, but as she improved in skill and behavior she was discharged from therapy. At first I was celebrating...until I realized my new problem. Peanut still had 3 therapies and now Sassy was "stuck" in a waiting room 3 hours a week when she knew very well what was behind the therapy room doors. (Multiple rooms filled with toys, swings, ball pits, trampolines, balls, you name it!) Don't get me wrong, the waiting room is filled with books and toys, but it's nothing compared to those therapy rooms.
When Sassy finished OT, it was a struggle. She wanted to go play in the ball pits. I brought bags of activities and games. When we got our iPad we started to bring that too. After a while she got used to the new routine and now rarely gives me a problem.
Trying to keep Sassy busy outside while Peanut does OT and Speech
Now my new hurdle: Peanut needs to continue group music therapy and Sassy doesn't. I think this is going to be harder for her. We've decided to sign her up for a ballet class to make up for it. She says waiting while Peanut is in music therapy is okay with her (as long as she gets to go to ballet). I hope she's right...but she's 3. Only time will tell over the next couple of weeks when music therapy starts up again, and Sassy cant go through that door with the other kids.
I feel bad for her, but at the same time so excited. Sassy no longer needs ANY therapy. THANKYOU God, one child is practically recovered! One down, one to go!

2 comments:

  1. Can you use a sitter for those 3 hours? That would give you a little break, too! Could totally be worth the $30 a week.

    ReplyDelete