"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33
Help make a difference in the lives of children in need. Now is the time to sponsor a child.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Blueberry Oatmeal Bars: Hidding veggies where they can't find them

I know it's been a while since I've posted.  I'll update that soon.  During this busy time for us I have still managed to do some recipe testing and have found some good ones.  This recipe is one of them.  I got the idea from a book called Deceptively Delicious  written by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry Seinfeld's wife).  The book is about hiding vegetables into recipes so your kids don't know they are there.  I took this recipe (page 171) and modified it so it was Gluten free, Casein free, Soy free, (mostly) organic, and lower sugar.  It is also egg free and can be nut free as well.  Both my kids and I liked it, and you'd never know you were eating spinach!

Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
(GFCFSFEF)
Ingredients:
2 cups GF Oats (We used Bob's Red Mill)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose GF flour (We use Arrowhead Mills, which is 73% organic)
1/3 cup organic agave nectar (or you could use 1/2 cup of sugar)
1/2 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder (we use Bob's Red Mill which is non aluminum)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup cold Earth Balance spread (soy free)
1 cup low sugar organic blueberry preserves (store bought or homemade)
1/2 cup organic spinach puree (I used frozen spinach, defrosted it and then pureed it)
1/3 cup chopped Almonds (optional)

1. Preheat the over to 375 degrees.  Coat an 8x8 pan (We used a glass Pyrex pan) with some Earth Balance.  Make sure to cover it well so the bars don't stick.

2. Mix together the oats, flour, agave, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and vanilla.

3. Add in the earth balance.  You can cut it in with 2 knives, or a pastry cutter...or you could use your hands.  I used my hands.

4. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the pan.  Bake until lightly brown on the edges.  (Approx 13-15 minutes).  You do not want this fully baked.

5.  While that is cooking, mix together your preserves and spinach puree.

6. Once the mixture is partially cooked, spread the preserve/spinach mixture on top. Then sprinkle the remaining half of the oatmeal mixture on top.  For a final crunch and added protein I also sprinkled chopped Almonds on top.

7. Bake until the top is slightly brown. (About 20 minutes).  Cool the pars completely before cutting and tasting.  (We cooled ours overnight).

This made a yummy and nutritious breakfast that we could take with us "on the go".    If you try it let me know!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment