"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33
Help make a difference in the lives of children in need. Now is the time to sponsor a child.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Recipe find: GFCFSFEF "Pop Tarts".

My latest recipe find may be my best one yet! Gluten free, Casein free, Soy free, Egg free pop tarts!  I will say that Pop Tarts are definitely on my list of "foods missed since eating healthier".  I recently discovered a blog called, Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom.  I fell in love with her site because of the variety of information on her blog, as well as the meal plans she shares every week.  It's nice to have someone to help map things out for you when you have a time crunch.  She links all of the recipes used in the meal plan too so it's very easy to plan your meals.  2 weeks ago as I was exploring her blog, I discovered an easy recipe for Pop Tarts and I HAD to try it. 

Of course living in New England with unpredictable weather caused me to delay making them. (We had a warm front and I didn't want to heat my house with my oven.)  At the end of last week it cooled off a little and I couldn't wait any longer, so the kids and I gathered all our ingredients and made our Pop Tarts.  I love having the kids help out with the cooking, and they love helping too.  It may be messier but it gives them a sense of pride when they eat the finished product and is a great learning opportunity as well.

We followed the recipe almost exactly. 

Pop Tart Recipe

We used organic apricot jelly as our filling.  We didn't have any colored sugar on had so we made our own.  I took 3 tbsp of granulated organic sugar and added 3 drops of blue India Tree Natural Food Coloring and used my fingers to mix the coloring into the sugar.  We then brushed the tops of our Pop Tarts with Almond milk and sprinkled the sugar on to the tarts.

Our finished Pop Tarts....YUMMY!!!!!


These were a hit!  They were gone in less than 2 days (I may have had something to do with this!).  The crust nicely browned on the edges and tasted just like an original Pop Tarts!  I can guarentee we will make these again and it made it's way into my binder of "keepers".    A BIG thanks to Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom for sharing this yummy recipe.  There is a Goldfish recipe I saw on her site I think we may be trying next.

No comments:

Post a Comment