"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33
Help make a difference in the lives of children in need. Now is the time to sponsor a child.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

What's on our Thanksgiving Menu

Thanksgiving is in 4 days!!!  I finally got our menu finalized this afternoon.  My husband cooks a huge feast for himself and the family, and the kids and I are going to eat food I cook the night before.  This is what is going to be on our menu:
The meat: Instead of trying to find a very small organic turkey, I decided to stick with a small whole organic chicken from Coleman Natural (which I buy at Market Basket!!).  I am going to make a herbed butter (Earth Balance  soy free spread and fresh chopped rosemary, thyme and sage) to rub on the chicken and then roast in the oven.
Gravy: I am using a recipe from Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef, the recipe can be found HERE.
Stuffing: I think I'm going to stuff the chicken and also have some held aside.  I am going to use THIS recipe also from  Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef.  I am going to omit the egg yolk and increase the amount of olive oil I use, and I'm toying with the idea of also adding some Applegate Farms sausage.
Mashed potatoes: Really it's simple.  Cooked potatoes, Earth Balance Spread and Almond Milk and you have a delicious, creamy mashed potato.
Veggies:  Most likely we will just defrost some frozen organic corn.
Cranberry sauce: I can't have Thanksgiving without cranberry sauce!  I found a quick and easy recipe on Food Network.com from Alex Guarnaschelli.  That recipe can be found HERE.  I am omitting the orange zest because my kids are sensitive to citrus still.  We also try our beast to avoid refined sugar, so I plan to substitute the sugar for Agave Nectar.  To learn how to do this you can follow the link HERE.
And last but not least......
Desert:  We have Dinner and desert with my family and then in the evening my husbands family all comes over for desert (they eat dinner later than we do).  So, I am making 2 different deserts so we don't have to eat the same things twice in one day (and so we have left overs!)
I am first making Pumpkin Pie from Gluten Free Fix.  You can find the recipe HERE.  It was hard to find a pumpkin pie recipe my kids could eat.  This recipe calls for cashew cream, which my kids can't have.  I checked, and according to Gluten Free Fix, you can substitute the cashews for almonds and make almond cream instead.  I am SO excited to make this!  To accompany our wonderful little pumpkin pie I am going to make a whipped cream topping using Ener-G egg substitute. (The recipe can be found on the back of the box).
For the second desert I'm going easy and making chocolate chip cookies.  The recipe for these can be found HERE.

Phew!  So that is our Gluten Free, Casein Free, Soy Free, mostly organic Thanksgiving menu.  What's on your menu?


No comments:

Post a Comment