"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33
Help make a difference in the lives of children in need. Now is the time to sponsor a child.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Homemade Chicken Stock

I haven't posted a recipe in a while and now that winter is here I wanted to share something we make from scratch every week...Chicken Stock!  When ever I mention to someone that I make my own stock they say, "Oh I wish I had the time to do that."  I can assure you I don't have "extra" time.  I thought the same thing when I was doing my research about it. (To learn about the HUGE benefits of home made Chicken stock click HERE)  All the recipes I read used the stove top and I'm rarely home for a full day.  Then it dawned on me, what about my crock pot?!  So I experimented and finally have found a quick and easy way to make home made organic chicken stock.

The ingredients: 
I have been able to find whole 5Ib organic chickens at Market Basket.  In my crock pot I put the whole chicken (complete with the contents of the lovely little bag of goodies inside the chicken.), 3 large organic carrots cut into pieces, organic celery pieces (complete with leaves), 2 cloves of organic garlic, 1 organic onion (cut into pieces), 1 bay leaf, and 6 cups of filtered water.
Our little chicken ready to go!
Time to set it and forget it!
I turn the crock pot on to high and cover it.  I leave it for approximately six hours on high (or until the meat has mostly fallen off the chicken bones).  I put a large glass bowl in the sink with a large colander over it (Propped up on the sides of the sink).  I then take the broth and pour it into the colander (using pot holders because it is still hot).  I let this sit until it's done dripping and I put the bowl in the refrigerator.  I then pick some of the chicken meat out of the colander and put it in a glass container. (Make sure you don't include any small bones in the chicken you are putting aside!) The chicken I set aside goes in the freezer to use in chicken noodle soup.

Storage:
The next morning I use a large spoon and scoop stock into glass canning jars (safe for freezing).  Each jar is one cup of broth.  I then put them in the freezer to use in all kinds of yummy recipes.  I use broth instead of water to make rice.  I also use it to make home made chicken noodle soup (again very quick and easy).  When you are ready to use the stock, put it int he refrigerator to thaw overnight.  If you decide to use some last minute take the top off the jar and place the jar in a bowl of shallow hot water.  Once it has melted the outside it will loosen the broth enough to get it out of the jar.  Once the broth warms up it will defrost and melt.

Some jars ready for the freezer.
And that's how I make chicken stock!  Happy cooking!

God Bless!

Mommy Provost

No comments:

Post a Comment