"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33
Help make a difference in the lives of children in need. Now is the time to sponsor a child.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Thank-you God for small miracles

This afternoon was a long day for Peanut at the school.  When I went to pick him up his paraprofessional (he has a 1:1) was beaming and said, "We had a great day today!"  I got him in the car and began to drive home.  At the first red light I came to I opened up his communication notebook (like I always do) and read this entry from today:

"What a great day Peanut had!  He made great eye contact when he was talking.  At quiet time Peanut and Eddie sat on the floor and played with beads and macaroni.  They had a wonderful conversation.  It was very unscripted, meaningful back and forth for about 10 minutes.  They talked about the tools they were using, the Celtics, and the cloths they were wearing.  All the teachers just sat there and watched in awe."

The light turned green, I wiped the tears from my eyes and continued to drive home.  Peanut had a good afternoon, and as he got more and more tired, he got more and more crazy.  I was still reeling from his social interaction with Eddie at school and then another thing happened. I handed him his pants after taking his bath and he did the coolest thing.  He put them on!  Now this may sound funny to some people, but we have been working on getting dressed independently since his diagnosis in 2009 and he has NEVER done this without a lot of hand over hand assistance!!!!!  He put his pants on all by himself tonight!!!!!

We work hard all day, we research, we plan, we pray, we cry, we persevere, and we keep pushing through, and then one day, all of that hard work and determination pays off.  All I can say, is thank-you God for these small miracles...Thank-you God.

"God is our place of safety. He gives us strength. He is always there to help us in times of trouble. The earth may fall apart. The mountains may fall into the middle of the sea. But we will not be afraid. The waters of the sea may roar and foam. The mountains may shake when the waters rise.  But we will not be afraid."       Psalm 46: 1-3


Mommy Provost
                       

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gayle~
    I love your blog! It was great chatting with you today!

    ReplyDelete