"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." - John 16:33
Help make a difference in the lives of children in need. Now is the time to sponsor a child.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Our Monkey Wrench.

It has been another crazy week in our home.  My grandmother was in and out of the ER.  She was finally admitted with pneumonia and CHF but has improved and was discharged this past Friday.  I felt in somewhat of a "funk" this week and found myself unmotivated to do more than just what was necessary for us to function. 
I know my biggest problem is the fact that I need to put more work into my relationship with God.  I need to pray more, I need to read more, and I need to make a point to get some more "alone" time.  I've been slacking in that area and I'll be the first to admit it.  After "slacking" this week, I KNOW I need to do more.
Friday was the icing on the cake for our week.  For those of you who don't know, we were a part time homeschooling family.  Our son went to public school for therapy and socialization.  It never sat well with me that he was in public school.  I always worried about what was going on and what he was exposed to.  His teacher had become someone we grew to trust.  She was supportive and treated our  Peanut as if he were her own child.  We had decided that once he was too old (5 years old) to be in her class, we would them pull him out of school and homeschool full time and utilize private therapy.   Everyone knows that as soon as you get comfortable with life, a monkey wrench will be thrown into the works, and that's exactly what happened to us on Friday.
I was driving the kids to their Music Therapy group when my phone rang.  It was Miss Courtney which was unexpected especially because she is currently on maternity leave.  She was calling to tell me that she had been reassigned to another class and that meant Peanut would no longer be in her class.  The new teacher is a new hire to the school district and she didn't know the person.  She called because she wanted to make sure I knew ahead of time.  I think she called because she new our plan.  I also think she called because "He" has a plan.

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (NIV)

My mind began to race.  What are we going to do?  Whats the right decision?  I called babes to tell him.  We decided to both pray on it first and then talk together.  I hung up and began to pray silently in my head (I didn't want the kids to know what was going on until we made our decision).  That night I went online searching for options and resources.  I posted on numerous discussion sites, reaching out to other families who homeschool their children with Autism.  I got a great response.  The more and more I prayed, the more and more I felt better.
 Of all the responses, one woman posted something that really hit home for me.  It's so simple, but so true, and I believe it is something we should all live by.  What she wrote was this: "In the end you and your husband need to decide what the Lord wants you to do for your children. Their autism was not a surprise to the Lord so don't expect Him change His plan."

Psalm 118:8 “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.”

We have our decision.  We know what we are going to do. We will be notifying the district this week, that we will be pulling Peanut out of the school completely.  We will not even utilize drop in therapy services if offered.  We are going to provide it all on our own.  I know, it sounds like ALOT, and your right it is but my kids are worth the work.  God gave US these children, and it is up to US to care for them and help them to maximize their potential.   I have created a therapy plan.  I also created a 36 week academic plan for this upcoming school year and I'm hoping to get a few lesson plans done tonight.
I'm feeling really good about our decision.  It's scary, but I think it's what we are supposed to do.  God has a plan, and we need to trust in that.
I will be putting our summer "school" plans on hold and we will start up in September.  I need a little time to organize our home, our schedule, and our plans.  I need to start up a new ABA program for Peanut as well, which means evaluations.  I'll share our plans and our journey as we go.  Pray for us.  I know there will be stumbling blocks along the way, but I also know we are not alone.

Deuteronomy 31:6-8 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”  (NIV)

I'll share as we go!

God Bless!!

Mommy Provost

No comments:

Post a Comment